Re: microphone a moving beast

Subject: Re: microphone a moving beast
From: "Marc Myers"
Date: Sat May 20, 2006 4:53am(PDT)
Lots of ways this could be done, I suppose. National Geographic's
critter cam is an example. David Letterman had a monkey he let loose in
the studio with a lipstick camera attached to its head as the "monkey cam."

The most important thing would be to design a harness that would be safe
for the animal, offer some protection to the recording or transmitting
equipment and isolate the microphone enough to avoid rubbing and wind
noise. Small would be better. An iRiver with one of the microphones made
for it, perhaps. Zaxcom makes some excellent quite small transmitters.
Those coupled with a good omni like a Countryman and you would have an
excellent, if expensive, system. Any system will run out of power fairly
soon.

Of course you have to figure out how to capture the animal, put the
equipment on it safely, track it successfully and then retrieve the
equipment. None of this is done without risk to the subject so its best
reserved for professionals. Even they kill animals occasionally.
Domestic pets might make better subjects. I'd love to listen to one of
our cats out hunting in the barn at night.

Marc

Graham Evans wrote:
>  >
>  >
>  >How about putting the lapel mics on the kangaroo, and getting a
>  >sonic POV? <g,dr>
>  >
>  >ac
>  >
>  >Allen Cobb
>  >

> I am quite friendly with some young kangaroos who my wife and I helped
> bottle-rear after their mum got killed by a car.  They come around of an
> evening to the place they were reared for food handouts.  So I am not
> going to rule that extraordinary idea out.  Has anyone else attempted
> attaching recorders and mics to moving animals.  I really love the idea!
>
> Graham
>

> "Microphones are not ears,
> Loudspeakers are not birds,
> A listening room is not nature."
> Klas Strandberg

> Science kits
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DScience+kits&w1=3DScience+kits&w=
2=3DScience+education&w3=3DScience+kit+for+kid&w4=3DNatural+sound&w5=3DMy+f=
irst+science+kit&w6=3DSound&c=3D6&s=3D122&.sig=3DLz9nlutNQy4QT0lkCYssxg>
>       Science education
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DScience+education&w1=3DScience+k=
its&w2=3DScience+education&w3=3DScience+kit+for+kid&w4=3DNatural+sound&w5=
=3DMy+first+science+kit&w6=3DSound&c=3D6&s=3D122&.sig=3DzxdoipO7RHo6Ovyfekb=
5NA>
>       Science kit for kid
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DScience+kit+for+kid&w1=3DScience=
+kits&w2=3DScience+education&w3=3DScience+kit+for+kid&w4=3DNatural+sound&w5=
=3DMy+first+science+kit&w6=3DSound&c=3D6&s=3D122&.sig=3DJdnZrWeIBv-vL8kM6Zy=
jqA>

> Natural sound
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DNatural+sound&w1=3DScience+kits&=
w2=3DScience+education&w3=3DScience+kit+for+kid&w4=3DNatural+sound&w5=3DMy+=
first+science+kit&w6=3DSound&c=3D6&s=3D122&.sig=3DQX11IJRDIZK15-qRl5t-Fw>
>       My first science kit
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DMy+first+science+kit&w1=3DScienc=
e+kits&w2=3DScience+education&w3=3DScience+kit+for+kid&w4=3DNatural+sound&w=
5=3DMy+first+science+kit&w6=3DSound&c=3D6&s=3D122&.sig=3DrKjlPw9iHIZMsTKrVR=
XSNw>
>       Sound
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DSound&w1=3DScience+kits&w2=3DSci=
ence+education&w3=3DScience+kit+for+kid&w4=3DNatural+sound&w5=3DMy+first+sc=
ience+kit&w6=3DSound&c=3D6&s=3D122&.sig=3DunzpqxF2mHIXi0JiJrzopQ>