dynamic imaging of binnaural source to stereo with linux

Subject: dynamic imaging of binnaural source to stereo with linux
From: "Graham Evans"
Date: Sat May 20, 2006 4:54am(PDT)
>You can also process mono tracks into binaural for headphone
>listening. I do that quite a lot with my own work. It can be
>done with a convolution reverb plugin, by downloading the free
>MIT binaural dummy head samples. Or there are a few dynamic
>plugins which let you move the sound source around binaurally
>during post. I use WaveArts Panorama for that.

Allen
Thanks for reminding me of the possibilities of post-production stereo imag=
ing.  I can see how this could be critically useful for making some of the =
forest-foley effects.  After all it ain't exactly possible to tell a kangar=
oo where to hop.

In case there are any other Linux users on the list I would like to share a=
 really good tip:

There is a free open source software tool which does this very smoothly and=
 easily with any high quality audio format you care to name.  It is Cineler=
ra (www.cinelerra.org) - a non-linear video editor - a program which starte=
d life as an audio production tool and just grew.  It can work with formats=
 involving 2, 4, 6 or more audio channels (all the channels are assumed to =
be located on a 2d plane in an evenly spaced ring around the listener as fa=
r as I tell).

This is not even a plug-in capability - it is built into the main program i=
nterface.  I guess it is an extremely useful tool for making movies when yo=
u want the sound image to follow a character.

You just mark the location on the 2d plane where you want to sound image to=
 appear from at various times in the playback.  The program will dynamicall=
y move the mono source or center of the binaural image from each marked poi=
nt to the next.

It is my favourite piece of software and I am tempted to abandon Audacity a=
nd just use this video editor for the whole project.  Of course in reality =
I will use multiple software tools including, unfortunately, sonicstage.

Graham E.