Re: Stereo Patterns

Subject: Re: Stereo Patterns
From: Curt Olson <>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:30:49 -0500
Bernie wrote:

> As I try to hit home in my book/CD, "Wild Soundscapes: Discovering the
> Voice of the Natural World," every choice we make in terms of mic and
> data capture systems, as well as recording sites, recording times, and
> setup, will have an impact on the results of our work. There are so
> many permutations that come to play in the brew of things soundwise.
> It ain't like point & shoot photography.

So true. So wise to keep in mind.

I'm not a big fan of MS, mostly because it cannot capture L/R
time-arrival differences. But for a high-quality "standard" that can be
repeated by a wide range of personnel in scientific documentation of
vanishing soundscapes, I have to think it's probably the best choice.
And the Sennheiser MKH30/40 or 30/50 mic combos favored by Bernie and
many other top pros have certainly proven themselves.

Thank you, Bruce, for the recordings! I studied them, but was waiting
for you to identify the patters. Now that you have, I'm anxious to go
back and listen again.

Curt Olson