Re: first field test of my Telinga EM23s

Subject: Re: first field test of my Telinga EM23s
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:54:35 -0800
Klas wrote,

>Dan, find me the 3 mm flexible cable, strong enough, and I will fulfill
>your wish. It's on my wish list too.

I've inquired of a friend at Shure what cable they use on the 183.

>On my wish list is also a good clamp which does not break and is strong
>enough to fasten to cloth and branches etc.
>But I make the housing out of brass. Aluminium adds a lot of mf and hf
>handling noise. The housing must also be as heavy as possible.

Is this to damp cable-borne vibrations? I'd rather have a lighter mic
and deal with cable noise another way. Aluminum can be anodized to a
dark color.

>The only big problem is to paint it, make it good.looking. Every good
>treatment of the brass gets very expensive / unit if I cannot sell a lot.
>The paint I can apply myself, tends to come off easily.

I understand. I don't care if it has a brushed metal finish or a
clear coat. Paint adhesion has to do with nasty chemical preparation
processes you don't want to have in your shop. How about making it
from steel, and having a gun shop "blue" it?

-Dan Dugan