Re: Mighty Pacific

Subject: Re: Mighty Pacific
From: "John Hartog" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 20:33:08 -0000
Thanks for your compliments Jaap,
I live in Portland Oregon, though I often visit the coast.  I would
move there, but it's hard to find jobs there that pay more than
minimum wage =96 maybe someday I will.

I'm really not a night person like many other nature recordists.  I
always find it painful to pry myself out of bed before first light,
but when I manage to do it, it's always well worth the effort.=20=20

Thanks for the link to that ocean swell page: I added it to my
bookmarks.  Here's another good resource for similar swell information:
https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/PUBLIC/WAM/wam.html

I usually just go by the current NOAA marine forecast for my area:
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forecasts/FZUS56.KPQR.html
It looks like Sunday will be a good day for recording (or surfing) on
the Oregon Coast.

At the risk of slight embarrassment, here once again is the url with a
description and pictures of my NT1-A setup that reminds Martyn of his
mother-in-law:
http://www.rockscallop.org/how/barrier10.html
That fleece wind screen is only adequate for a slight breeze, so I
threw an additional blanket of fake fur over the whole thing.

I know that using a barrier with cardioids is unconventional, but I do
it anyway.  I read Jeckin's notes about his Jecklin Disk where he
mentions it only works with omni's, but he never explains why.  It
seems to work fine for me.  It creates a binaural feel with
headphones, and I think it might preserve front and back with less
flip-flop than omnis, especially for direct flyovers =96 though maybe
not: I'll have to test that more.
And even though I know the NT1-As work fine angled out 60 degrees,
once again I turned them straight forward =96 to face the power of the
sea - to help isolate particular aspects that would otherwise get
washed out by the surroundings.

-John Hartog