Re: Mighty Pacific

Subject: Re: Mighty Pacific
From: "Jaap de Jong" <>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 22:37:20 -0000
--- In  "John Hartog"
<> wrote:

> The Pacific Ocean seemed unusually fierce throughout the night  =96  a
> constant rumble with periodic roar from infragravity waves every three
> minutes or so.  I awoke several times to exploding crashes that came
> at some longer interval.  Ordinarily, from half a mile away a twelve
> foot swell does not sound this present, especially with a breeze from
> the east. A 40 foot swell on February 4th drastically changed the
> beach profile: perhaps it also altered the local bathymetry exposing
> the cobbled bottom usually smoothed over by sand =96 and making the surf
> sound much louder.

Hi John,

Excellent sounds! You 're lucky to live in such a nice place. Being
awoke by such wave-sounds cannot be too much of a punishment ;) I can
imagine you running out with your gear to record this beauty of
nature, probably in the middle of the night (?)

As far as the waveheights concerned you might check out

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/mmm.html?map=3Dwave&animate=3D1

..although you may already know this great site.

How do you protect your mics from the wind, and how far have you
placed them from each other in this beautiful ocean-files?

Many thanks!

Jaap
Amsterdam, The Netherlands