RE: Trip to South Africa and my VP88

Subject: RE: Trip to South Africa and my VP88
From: "Allen Cobb" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 01:05:17 -0600
Regarding Microphone Madness in-ear binaural mics:

I bought the MM-BSM-8, and I find them almost unusable, due to
excessive sensitivity to high SPL. They crunch and clip
amazingly easily. There was a "band on the square" concert
nearby last summer, and I had to walk two full blocks from the
square before they stopped distorting. They also failed me when
recording an acoustic group (with standup bass) in a large
reverberant room. I haven't done much further testing with them
because I was so dissatisfied after those first two projects.
Plus, my old but still healthy Sonic Studios quasibinaural mics
are back from cable replacement, and they're in a different
league altogether. You might want to check them out at
http://sonicstudios.com.

I have run them into my PMD670 XLR's using a simple Y adapter
(mini-stereo F to two xlr M), but I don't recall where I bought
the Y. There are several mic accessory outfits mentioned in the
previous msgs here, and it was probably one of them.

ac

Allen Cobb
http://timbreproductions.com