Re: Trip to South Africa and my VP88

Subject: Re: Trip to South Africa and my VP88
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:49:53 -0800
> Also I was going to buy some little in ear binaural mics for walking
> around.  Something like the OKM ones or the Microphone madness
> ones.  Does anyone have a good pic in this department?  Is there a
> good way to interface these mics with the little mini plugs into an
> XLR input on my FR2?

Most of the small binaural types will require "plug-in power" which is
typically provided on consumer gear for 1/8" stereo miniplug
microphone inputs (e.g. minidisc recorders, the Microtrack 2496 I
believe, etc.)

If the FR2 doesn't have a PIP jack you'll need an outboard powering
unit; you should be able to get one that both supplies PIP to the mics
and breaks out to 2xXLRM on the other side. I know Leonard Lombardo
makes power supplies for his Sonic Studios mics that do this, let's
see, I don'ts see a stock one on the Sound Professionals site but I'm
100% sure if you write/call them they'd do this for you on one of
their supplies. Btw if you get a PIP supply from them it'd be handy to
have the switchable bass roll-off filter as well, it's an option on
their boxes.

If you want quality for dollar the Shure WL183s are a good deal but
you will need to adapt their plugs -- though if SP is making you a
custom box, maybe you could get them to use their connectors natively
rather than the default 1/8" stereo miniplug -- now there's an idea!
-- and also DIY a mounting (like Dan Dugan's shoulder-mounts or using
old headphones to make a wearable and stealthy head mount, my
preference). My crude tests to date put them well above the cheap
binaurals I have around and half the price of the OKMs. They aren't
small enough to wear *in* your ears though.

best,
 aaron

--

  www.quietamerican.org