Re: pine forrest wind

Subject: Re: pine forrest wind
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:35:19 -0800
> Some of us have had experience with binaural recording, and some
> folks here do use the Sennheiser "head" binaural mic system
> (with various modifications). The Sonic Studios
> modified-binaural mics are also popular.

Regarding the latter, you can hear what they sound like at my site;
most of the recordings you will find there were made with those mics
-- but not with the SoundDevices 722 (yet!). Most were made with
consumer minidisc recorders that cost a few hundred dollars.

I do a lot of composition with the recordings I make using elements
you describe, here are a few projects that might interest you (all
free downloads):

 http://www.quietamerican.org/disc_maritime_suite.html
 http://www.quietamerican.org/commissions_sfemf.html
 http://www.quietamerican.org/related_annapurna.html

You might also like to poke around the several hundred contributed
recordings for this project, most done by non-professionals:

  http://www.quietamerican.org/vacation.html

Other binaural-type recording options popular at the moment are the
Core Sound HEB mics  which are small enough to tuck into your ears(!)
and the Shure WL183's whose application for DIY binaural (and similar)
recordings has been much discussed on this group in the last year and
a half or so.

 best regards,
  aaron

--