pine forrest wind

Subject: pine forrest wind
From: "Jaap de Jong" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:15:01 -0000
Dear Naturerecordists,

I am new to this nice group so here is some information on me.
Recently I discovered a personal longing for silence. Since I live in
downtown Amsterdam, NL, and despite of having a nice home, neighbors
are way too noisy. As my occupation has a lot to do with music,
recording and audio in general, I learned to like silence as well.
However here in The Netherlands even the word 'silence' is almost
absent. Therefore I would love to emigrate to some place quiet, where
I can repose and listen to tranguil nature sound. You can imagine that
silence to my belief could be anything except heavy traffic, barking
dogs, neighbours banging their heads to test the walls, or even
digital zero.

Some of my favorite nature-sounds include (among others) wind through
pine-trees, thunder and songbirds. Other -more or less- human sounds
which I very much like to listen to are windchimes and the rougher
wind buffeting 'stays' (metal lines on aluminum masts of sailboats in
marinas). I would like to record these sounds by myself. Respect to
Gordon Hempton for he knows how to do top-recording and how to get
away from our present disturbing-noise-world. In the near future I
want to buy a fire-wire interface to do laptop (music)recording,
although it might be too heavy for extended (naturesound-) recording
in the field (not to mention the battery-power). Has anyone here
experience with high-end ultra portable recording gear in conjunction
with e.g. the Neumann dummyheads? Or can anyone provide me with some
of the sounds I described? I would love to hear from you guys (and girls?)

Greetings! Jaap de Jong (male, 29) Amsterdam.