RE: pine forrest wind

Subject: RE: pine forrest wind
From: "Allen Cobb" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 18:02:28 -0600
Hi Jaap,

Welcome to the group!

You could move to Iowa, here in the upper middle part of the US.
It's so quiet you can hear the individual cillia in your
cochlea. Often at night the loudest sound is the blood in my
head. But sometimes, during the summer, the cicada buzz so
loudly in the fields that you can barely hear yourself speak.

Recording wind is a little tricky, but rain and thunder, and
birdsong, are popular among a lot of the folks in this group. If
you review some of the older messages, you'll find a LOT of
information on compact or portable or high quality mics,
preamps, recorders, wind protection, etc.

When you say "ultra-portable" are you thinking of very small and
low power, or just very strong and well-suited to use in the
field? The Sound Designs 722 is a very high quality, very
robust, very expensive recorder that most of us feel is just
about the best you can get for high-end 2-channel field
recording. But there are lots of other choices, and new
recorders are appearing about every 4 months.

Some of us have had experience with binaural recording, and some
folks here do use the Sennheiser "head" binaural mic system
(with various modifications). The Sonic Studios
modified-binaural mics are also popular.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of ideas and a huge amount of
detailed information on lots of aspects of field recording.

Allen

Allen Cobb
http://timbreproductions.com