Re: reverb filters

Subject: Re: reverb filters
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 23:37:08 -0600
I agree with Mark that experimentation with a
good Parametric EQ plug is worth a go.  Maybe try
to lessen the presence/volume of the resonant
room-produced frequencies created before trying
any additional reverb. If you boost 200-600Hz for
warmth, you'll probably get more, no less room
content.  The hard surfaces could be adding
stridency or maybe the mics are. There could be
some narrow, exaggerated bands between 1.6K to
4K. Lessening these with parametric EQ will make
the overall balance warmer. Same technique used
to take some bite out of harsh animal calls. A
transparent flexible EQ plug like Eqium or Firium
is needed.  Might be tough to imitate another
space-- something different, more interesting
might be all you can expect. Even a short sample
delay between channels can form a different
foundation to build on. There are dozens of pro
reverb plugs. Some allow you to import an impulse
and since the space is still at hand, starting
with a patch that imitates the room might help
you discover something interesting you can build
on. The tie to field recording is that one is
always recording some sort of enclosure.  Rob D