DIY 5X9v bat phantom supply

Subject: DIY 5X9v bat phantom supply
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 23:37:42 -0600
At 11:44 PM +0000 12/2/05, oryoki2000 wrote:
>Core-Sound recently announced a phantom power supply that sounds like
>it has the right stuff.  From the Core-Sound press release:
>
>"2Phant is a portable, battery-powered, two channel 48 Volt (P48V)
>Phantom Power supply.  Unlike almost all battery-powered phantom power
>supplies, it can provide 10 milliamps of current to both microphones
>simultaneously.  This allows it to power Earthworks, Schoeps, Neumann,
>AKG and other high current requirement microphones.  It's perfect for
>your 24-bit recordings, as its noise levels are down over 150 dB,
>considerably better than other phantom supplies currently on the
>market.  It will run on two nine-Volt batteries for more than four
>hours, and the batteries can be hot-swapped during operation for
>extended continuous operating times.  It is expected to ship in
>November 2005 and will carry an MSRP of $275."
>
>--oryoki

Product scout extraordinaire, Oryoki.  First time I've seen signal to
noise spec published for a phantom. Len is defining a 7dB addition of
noise when mic powering increases from 5ma to 10ma (though both are
way below any mic self noise I know of). Seems to tie with Klas's
findings; might even be a similar circuit design to his friend's. Rob
D.