Re: pmd660

Subject: Re: pmd660
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:30:05 -0600
Thanks for the insights Mike. After-mod specs
would be a useful indication of the relevancy of
the mod for recording in quiet locations.
Marantz's factory spec: "Mic Input
Signal-to-Noise Ratio IEC-A Weighted:  60dB" is
quite poor.  It would seem that any mod would
have to realize a very, "significant reduction in
the noise level and audible High Frequency
problems otherwise present in the system" to be
on par with the needs of recordist who work in
quiet locations. Doug helpfully points out that
he factory unit will not accept, "very high
output condenser microphone(s)" -- the type of
mics we discuss with regularity.

I wish Doug and Marantz well and I'm pro DIY
ingenuity, but I don't understand the approach of
modifying a product with this initial mic pre
performance if the goal is, "sound (that) is much
more detailed and open sounding, important for
recording ambient sounds."=A0 It perplexes me at
this juncture in recording technology that one
manufacturer can turn out a "consumer" recorder
with very high gain, very low noise, ample
headroom and very acceptable sounding A-D, while
another will turn out a recorder for the "pro"
market with poor mic pre performance listed for
double the cost.

My testing methods are far from perfect, but I'd
be happy to do a high gain, A/B "clock" test on a
660(s) if anyone has one they can spare for a few
days. I'm still hoping to locate a R-1 & R-4 too.
Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D =3D

--
Rob Danielson