Re: humidity and condoms

Subject: Re: humidity and condoms
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 23:45:26 +0100
At 16:58 2005-11-06, you wrote:
>At 4:11 PM +0100 11/6/05, Klas Strandberg wrote:
><snip>
> >  I would guess that if the microphone is so small that
> >the condom is really slack, then there is no audible impact at all, at
> >least not with omnis.
>
>Really, you want the fit to be loose? Does a tight membrane create
>more enclosure and resonance? I'm surprised the sound waves wouldn't
>lose considerable energy having to move another membrane. Why would
>omni's be less affected than other polar patterns? How about figure
>8's?

really, I don't know what I am saying, just guessing out from feelings and=

experience.
As soon as I have some time over to rig my freq. measuring equipment, I
will make a brief test, to see what happens.
Omnis are pressure sensing and always much less critical. All directionals=

are more unpredictable.

>Considering how often moisture presents problems in my over-night
>recordings, I may be looking into volume pricing. Wouldn't an air
>seal around the capsule help?!

I know some people claiming that the "zeppelin" wind cover out of "fur"
helps to reduce moist problems.

>My MKH 30 has been breaking-up a lot
>lately. Moisture around the freezing point seems to present more of a
>problem for the 30, not for the MKH-40 though. My front facing "high
>serial number" NT1A's continue to be very reliable. Rob D.

Can you send the serial number to me? I will get in touch with R=F6de about=

my two "plopping" mic's and to compare serial numbers might give them a
lead on what's wrong.

Klas