Re: Playback - more evidence please

Subject: Re: Playback - more evidence please
From: "John Hartog" <>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:07:22 -0000
 (snip)
> I think those who say that playback is "just for the sake of modern
> convenience or for lack of patience..." owe us a little more than
> sarcasm.
>Let's make sure that they too contribute alternative ideas.

Do you feel attacked?  I wasn't trying to be sarcastic.  There are
lots of things that people do for the sake of convenience or for the
lack of patience that are detrimental to the natural environment. That
doesn't mean I expect anyone to stop doing them:  I drive a car too
you know.

And, I did give an alternative idea, though it seems you overlooked it. =

Again: before resorting to playback, wait motionless, silently
observing, for the bird to appear naturally?=20

I'm just trying to learn more about playback, so as a nature sound
recordist  I can form a valid opinion that I can back up, if anyone asks.

We have reports from some group members that playback has been shown
to be detrimental to some birds, while some members seem certain
playback is completely benign.  Some users of playback here are being
helpful and given explanations on how playback is necessary.
=20
I think those who are using playback and actually taking steps to make
sure they do it responsibly are better equipped to contribute the
alternative ideas.
So Chuck, what are your ideas for alternatives to playback?

-John Hartog