Re: Playback - more evidence please

Subject: Re: Playback - more evidence please
From: Chuck B <>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 08:37:51 -0800
 wrote:

>I can state with great certainty that the  Jocotoco Antpitta we discovered=
 in
>Ecuador would never have been discovered if  we had not recorded its voice=

>and played it back.

    With respect, you were asked an impossible and therefore irrelevant
question. You *can't* say the bird would *never* have been discovered
without playback. It's just not on, logically.
    The point is that you did discover it with playback. The benefits of
discovery (habitat protection, etc.) can be stated. Although I think
*you* might have some expert comments on alternatives to playback, I
think those who say that playback is "just for the sake of modern
convenience or for lack of patience..." owe us a little more than
sarcasm. Let's make sure that they too contribute alternative ideas.

    -- Chuck

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Chuck Bragg, Pacific Palisades, CA
Membership, Newsletter, Web manager