Re: 722 batteries/cases

Subject: Re: 722 batteries/cases
From: "werainey" <>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 21:14:50 -0000
An alternative to the inconveniently bulky roll-up flexible solar panels ar=
sectional thin film panels on waterproof fabric. These are lighter weight a=
nd
fold into remarkably small packages. A new generation of them is also
affordable and performs pretty well under cloud cover. To power ultrasound=

monitors we're using six 6-watt panels which each weigh 1 lb  and cost ca
$90. Panels up to 40 watts are still quite portable. One mfg with product i=
nfo
on their site is www.globalsolar.com.

A 12V lithium 'brick' battery would have about the same bulk as your NiMH
D-pack, but would weigh about half as much, have much lower self discharge,=

and probably cost something more than 4X as much.

Bill R.