RE: Does the Minidisc have a future?

Subject: RE: Does the Minidisc have a future?
From: "Allen Cobb" <>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 13:08:04 -0500
I'm sure HiMD discs will be around for many years to come. The
installed base is substantial, and it will take a long time to
clear the disc pipeline.

Who knows, maybe the next generation will be backwards
compatible ... although I just discovered to my horror that my
new HiMD isn't ALLOWED to transfer self-recorded audio from my
recordist's MD (last year's model).

This is precisely what makes the whole format questionable for
serious use. At least with SCUMS on DAT you could buy a prosumer
model, or an external box to strip the SCUMS bit. Meanwhile,
anybody trying to make real money on piracy isn't slowed down at
all.

ac

Allen Cobb

http://acobb.com