Does the Minidisc have a future?

Subject: Does the Minidisc have a future?
From: "Mark R." <>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 07:51:32 +0900
Hello All,
  Had to share this surprising and disturbing news.
  Mark R.
 From the MD Forums>
 Hi, it's the administrator kurisu. Either I see you every day, or you've
been around once and never again. Your still a friend, and must know what's
occuring.

The Minidisc format is seemingly going to stop being actively developed.
Sony's recent initative to restructure and give more definition to their
products has initated the decision to cut "15 product lines.." This is very
disturbing news. Right now there's a very slim chance that Hi-MD may even
see a third generation, and if it were, it would probably be the definitive
last. I'm not so sure anymore that the Connect Player will even support MD.
There's something else on the horizon now, a unified approach.

Sony had a recent webcast in New York, displaying the path in which they
would take for the next few years. Walkman was incessantly touted, but MD
was nowhere to be seen. Judging by the focus of the webcast, it should've
was very clear as to what Sony's immediate future will be, and I can
honestly say I do
not see MD in the equation.

This is causing an uproar in the community; please visit the (massive)
discussion thread about it and share opinions with fellow MD enthusiasts --

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=3D12318

Regards,

Christopher MacManus
Founder, Sony Voice Network