Re: Sharp MD glitch

Subject: Re: Sharp MD glitch
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:00:45 -0700
I (Dan Dugan) wrote,

>  > What I heard was a very low level martian chatter that would have been
>>  covered by the mic hiss if I had been recording at my normal level;
>>  maybe the second site had a slightly higher ambience that masked it?

And you (Curt Olson) replied,

>If you're saying your mics picked up the recorder's write-to-disk
>activity acoustically, I've run into that problem too. It ruined an
>otherwise great sunset wilderness recording back in April. These MD
>mechanisms seem to be a wee bit noisy, and sometimes need to be
>muffled.

The acoustic noise is another issue. I occasionally got that with my
MD-MT90. I'd lower it down to waist level so it wasn't line of sight
to my shoulder mics and that would be enough.

This stuff I got in the desert was way at the top, and the mics were
thirty feet away!

I'm going to investigate the grounding-to-the-case issue that Greg
reminded me about.

-Dan