Re: Sharp MD glitch

Subject: Re: Sharp MD glitch
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:04:44 -0700
>I ran into something similar a few months ago with my Sony MZ-NHF800
>Hi-MD recorder, when trying to power a pair of 183s externally from a
>9-volt battery. It added a series of low-level clicks to the audio
>every few seconds, exactly at points where I noted disk activity during
>test recordings -- presumably writing data to the media. So yea, it
>appears MD recorders buffer the incoming data stream and dump to disk
>periodically. (I went back to PIP and the clicks disappeared.)

That last note is baffling to me; powering the mics externally should
ease the drain on the battery, if it made any difference at all. What
I heard was a very low level martian chatter that would have been
covered by the mic hiss if I had been recording at my normal level;
maybe the second site had a slightly higher ambience that masked it?

-Dan