Re: Sharp MD glitch

Subject: Re: Sharp MD glitch
From: "Mark R." <>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 07:55:16 +0900
Hi Dan,
  I ran into the same problem in a different way with a Nomad J3. The
writing was heard when the gain on the Nomad was turned up. Those more tech=

minded than myself could probably explain, although I am pretty sure
that better
sheilding inside these units would help. I can't figure out why less gain o=
your MD brought this out though, unless you applied more gain than is
onboard your unit in post.
  Best,
 Mark
 On 8/20/05, Dan Dugan <> wrote:

> A few months ago my beloved Sharp MD-MT90 finally gave out, and I
> replaced it with a new recorder. They don't make them like they used
> to. The MD-MT280E has a plastic case and feels cheap. It has fewer
> buttons, and displaying remaining time requires going through a
> rather obscure menu process that I'm still not comfortable with. No
> rechargeable battery, just one AA cell.
>
> Fortunately it sounds just as good as any Sharp, but I ran into
> something new the other day. It was quite breezy where I was
> recording, and I wanted to make sure none of the wind noise
> overloaded, so I could filter it. I turned down from my usual record
> level of MIC L 17 to 12. That's 10dB down at 2dB per step. I figured
> I'd boost it back up in post. It was a quiet location.
>
> When I loaded the disc into Pro Tools and jacked it up 10 dB I got an
> unpleasant surprise. There was just audible above the mic hiss some
> clearly digital hash that would come and go periodically. From the
> timing of it I'm sure it was when the data was being written to the
> disc. (Did you know that MD recorders don't record continuously? The
> disc only spins about 1/5 of the time.)
>
> I was recording 4-channel, with an MD-MS722 doing the rear channels.
> Sound from that, using the same gain process, was fine.
>
> -Dan Dugan
>

> "Microphones are not ears,
> Loudspeakers are not birds,
> A listening room is not nature."