Re: InternetArchive.org Uploading

Subject: Re: InternetArchive.org Uploading
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 00:48:16 -0500
At 5:57 PM -0700 7/21/05, Mike Sengenberger wrote:
>Greg, I agree.
>
>I do not think that the Internet Archive is the place
>for most of the files that have been exchanged
>recently through the list. That resource seems
>appropriate for "finished" works, or project pieces -
>I've accessed a variety of resources on that site and
>the content seems more finalized/enduring then is
>often shared through our list.
>
>I don't understand that as a place to send large
>volumes of recording fragments and go through the
>adding/deleting process regularly. That seems an "in
>house" feature for our group.
>
>Is there an interest in expanding server space/file
>exchanges throughout the group? Or are people content
>to do things on their personal resources?

Hi Mike et al--

It would probably be quite a project to realize, but in case someone
is still considering this need,.. here a few things I think might
really help:

1) An easy, browser based, upload interface with password entry. The
basic design approach to our yahoo files site is okay, the interface
doesn't work at all with some browsers.  If we need to  us an FTP
application, then a very slimmed down one that people can download
with most of the settings pre-set for the site might work. Using  a
stock FTP application is really not that easy for beginners.

2) ~50-500mb for each member who wants it (maybe at a reasonable yearly fee=
?).

3)  A search tool for locating members folders (rather then scrolling
through the 100's there that will accumulate over time)

4) Easy link creation so people can paste short links into their posts

5) A built-in solution/suggestion(s) for mac/pc quicktime and window
media player issues!

I guess these features are a tall order, but something like this
could take us to the next level of exchangeability across the groups'
many skill levels.

Is the downy announcing you!?  P.S. If you're on Mac OSX and are
using a flac decode ap that works real easy, can you drop me or the
list a link? Embarrassing how much time I've spent trying to find
this,.. Thanks! Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D

--
Rob Danielson