Re: Hiding MKH from Beginners

Subject: Re: Hiding MKH from Beginners
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:17:44 -0400
From: Rob Danielson <>

> I agree that its quality, not just money. And its interesting to me
> that we're able to get pretty far into exploring the personal values
> and observations behind what "quality" is to each of us.
> The tests present a range of options side by side, without commentary
> or pricing, but they also just one of many ways to further explore
> values, observations etc.  One of the values that is important to
> some is "doing it themselves" creating a personal relation to the act
> of sound recording and developing an intense relation to the natural
> world.  Recording is only about 60 years old and digital recording,
> just over a decade.  No way the "practice" is going to get "locked
> in" at this stage.
>
> Knowledgeable, experienced  people (and those who are neither too)
> are going to speak-up and disagree with any idea, aspect, concept
> that they feel someone else is trying to shove off as general rule or
> accepted reality when they feel its not.  Instability and frustration
> is a part of democratic discussion. So are personal and larger
> contexts of growth, ideally. I learn a ton from you and many other
> people on this list. When its all said and done, everyone makes very,
> very different choices-- and not what anyone suggested. It has to be
> that way because everyone sees and hears differently and desires
> different outcomes. I talk about tech, because its an access point to
> desire. Which I disagree, I learn a lot, even while steaming in my
> own juices.  I can live with that. If I get out of line, please shoot
> for my kneecaps.
>
> I'm wired to give advice (though I should probably check that impulse
> more). You're wired to give advice, but I don't, speaking truly, want
> you to check your impulses in any way. We can live with this. Rob D.

For over a year now I've severely limited my participation in recorder
discussions and the same for helping beginners. For about the same
period I've cut off nearly all mention of the newer mic setups I'm
working on. Stuff other than the 5 main mic setups I use. It's just too
much pain and hassle for me. I dropped the group to digest to slow my
just going to have to do the same for all mic discussions, and some
other subjects on the group. Which means no advice, no opinions, even
less advice for beginners. That's where I'm at and I have no expectation
of it being any different in the future. Yes, teaching, giving advice is
a basic part of my makup, it also hurts to not say anything.

I do get to help folks still, I receive lots of requests for help in
both nature recording and photography via email. I used to help the
nature recording folks and then refer them the the naturerecordists
group for differing opinions. I no longer mention naturerecordists to
such folk. If they ask I do give them my honest opinion about the group.