Re: Re: Hiding MKH from Beginners

Subject: Re: Re: Hiding MKH from Beginners
From: umashankar <>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:07:57 -0700 (PDT)
just my little bit. i am a professional recordist in
india, and do own my own sennheiser microphones (MKH
416, 805, a pair of 125 lavaliers, but also a couple
of MD 421s which i have used very often in parabolic
reflectors).

i also have, for atleast 20 years, built my own
microphones. cheap capsules mounted on small pieces of
plastic (usually atleast five capsules in parallel,
merely to bring the noise level down).

20 years ago, the cheap capsules were the only things
i could afford: the sennheisers were rented for the
day.

can i hear to difference? of course i can. my home
made microphones also needed occassional disassembly
and resoldering, which would have meant 'unreliable'
to others.

Generally speaking, i tend to introduce newcomers to
the cheap alternatives first (though i show them my
handsome professional microphones too). things are
changing here in india, and pro mics are becoming
available and affordable, but i would still like to
remember all the recordings i would not have made if i
did not have access to the cheap and homebuilt
microphones.

umashankar

=09=09
Yahoo! Mail for Mobile