Re: Pickerel ID in KVR

Subject: Re: Pickerel ID in KVR
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:22:04 -0500
At 12:00 PM -0400 7/19/05, Walter Knapp wrote:
>From: Rob Danielson <>
>

>>  I was taking the very faint gravel-voiced guy  on the left towards
>>  the begiining as a Pickerel, but maybe he's a Northern Leopard?  The
>>  Pickerel sample on Walt's site has a more sustained snore. Rob D.
>
>There are pickerel calls throughout the 7 minute clip. About a average
>of 2 per minute. Most are faint and partially masked by the moisture
>sound I pointed out, so you may only get the loudest part of the call
>rising above that. These fall right in with my experience with pickerel
>calls in how they sound. Length of call is variable with this species.
>Because I'm not familiar with the mics I cannot give a distance to the
>frogs. It might have been quite close, pickerel frog calls don't carry far=
.

The rig was 20-25 yards back from a ~15 foot drop off to the river.
Sounds from the nearest bank of the river would be indirect. The far
side of the river is another 10 yards; those sounds are direct. So,
its 30-35 yards, center of the field, to the far river bank. There's
a large wetland a bit beyond the river. I haven't walked over this
year, but its unlikely there would be open water from the wetland
closer than 80-100 yards.

>There is one call in the clip that sounds a bit like a leopard frog
>call, the chuckle call, but it's so masked by the moisture sound I
>cannot be sure.
>
>I did a lot of survey work with pickerel frogs down here, they are one I
>greatly expanded their known range in Georgia. We don't have northern
>leopards down here, but have the southern leopards. What little I've
>heard northern leopards in my travels, they sound just the same as the
>southern leopards. Southern leopards snore is smoother than pickerels,
>and almost always they mix in some of their chuckles or wet balloon
>calls to give themselves away. Pickerels only give the one call.
>
>Pickerels here call from late February into May or so. Their main season
>is March-April. Every time I've watched one calling he was floating in
>the water surface, only the eyes and maybe a bit of nose above the
>water. His vocal sacs, which are behind the front legs, were entirely
>underwater during the call. He's one I need to do some more hydrophone
>work on.
>
>Southern Leopards also call at the water surface. I've not been able to
>watch one while it was giving the snore call. Here they can call almost
>any time of year, mostly chuckles and wet balloon calls, the snores are
>more winter or early spring and not as common.

http://www.midwestfrogs.com/
I used the northern leopard sample above as the best match I could
come up with for calls at ;03, 1;14 ; 2:09 and 2:25 of the
10.9mb/7minute mp3 version.  Would be great to get the spots you're
hearing the pickerels.
Rob D.