Re: Pickerel ID in KVR

Subject: Re: Pickerel ID in KVR
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:26:13 -0400
From: Rob Danielson <>

> The rig was 20-25 yards back from a ~15 foot drop off to the river.
> Sounds from the nearest bank of the river would be indirect. The far
> side of the river is another 10 yards; those sounds are direct. So,
> its 30-35 yards, center of the field, to the far river bank. There's
> a large wetland a bit beyond the river. I haven't walked over this
> year, but its unlikely there would be open water from the wetland
> closer than 80-100 yards.

It's probably the river. Anyway they seem to be left of the mics. Most
likely direct sound. Which would make them far side of the river. 80-100
yards seems far for the performance of these mics.

Pickerels call floating in the water, not from shore. Their preference
seems to be in floating weeds on the deepwater side. Though I've seen
them call over clear deepwater.

> http://www.midwestfrogs.com/
> I used the northern leopard sample above as the best match I could
> come up with for calls at ;03, 1;14 ; 2:09 and 2:25 of the
> 10.9mb/7minute mp3 version.  Would be great to get the spots you're
> hearing the pickerels.
> Rob D.

I've had a lot of correspondence with the guy doing that site. He's not
a frog expert and comes to me for ID's sometimes. It's a nice idea
trying to do actual video.

I don't really have much time to spend on this right now. I'm so far
behind that I can't even see the tunnel to see the light at the end of.

It's only going to be settled by going out there and grabbing some of
them, or at least spotting them. I'm surprised that pickerels should be
considered rare there, I saw a number of them when I was up there.