722 vs [was] NT1-A and moisture

Subject: 722 vs [was] NT1-A and moisture
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:24:38 -0400
From: "Martyn Stewart" <>

> Let us just hope that someone gets out in the field to use these rather t=
han
> quoting mic specs, I personally would like to hear results.

Indeed, the proof is in the field and the recordings you get.

I'll toss this in, I've been using MKH mics for a number of years now. I
have:

2 - MKH-816 long shotguns
2 - MKH-20  Omnis
2 - MKH-40  Cardioids
2 - MKH-30  Figure-8s
2 - MKH-60  Short Shotguns
1 - MKH-70  Long Shotgun
a number of the older MKH-110's and MKH-110-1's

In using these in the field I've never had any of them change sound or
have any other problems as a result of the heat and humidity of Georgia.
That includes getting them dripping wet. They also perform equally well
in cold, wet conditions. I can depend on them in all conditions.

I have had a recent failure of one of my MKH-60's, which is currently
getting a new capsule at Sennheiser. I do not know the cause of the
failure, it was being used at room temperature and normal humidity
inside when it failed abruptly. It was not the one I'm using M/S so had
not seen a lot of field use. I'd owned the mic for more than 3 years,
bought used off Ebay.

This is another thing for folks to consider, service availability.
Sennheiser has excellent long term support for their mics, and fairly
reasonable prices considering the cost of a MKH mic. The rebuild of the
MKH-60 was $450 including a new KS60 capsule unit, labor and shipping.