722 vs [was] NT1-A and moisture

Subject: 722 vs [was] NT1-A and moisture
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:22:51 -0400
From: Rob Danielson <>

> We're getting close to realizing we can't make
> useful generalizations about MD pres and best
> refer to particular mic- preamp combinations when
> making comments or judgements. I can't see what
> there is to gain by generalizing about condenser
> mics in outdoor use.  If was true, why does the
> mkh 30 go out first sometimes?  I've been using
> NT1-A's in the field for two years now, that
> wouldn't be the case if they were unreliable.
> There are spec sheets on line at Rode. I
> understand that the NT1A and 2A are unusual
> circuits as mics go. The electronics seal is
> decent. You have to keep direct water contact off
> of the capsule. Rob D.

Note that the MKH-30 is a figure 8 mic, which is quite a different
mechanical design than a omni or cardioid. I don't think it's meaningful
to compare humidity sensitivity between the two groups.

When Rode makes a figure-8, compare that to a MKH-30.

One other small reason I went with the MKH series is that it's one of
the few series that includes a figure-8. In my M/S I'm using same brand
and series for both mics. Makes me at least feel like I have a somewhat
matched set of mics in my M/S.