722 vs [was] NT1-A and moisture

Subject: 722 vs [was] NT1-A and moisture
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:23:53 -0400
From: Rob Danielson <>

> The new, NT2-A is variable polar pattern (cardioid, fig 8 and omni)
> and seems to be based on the same electronics as the NT1-A.

I believe these mics are using a op-amp chip instead of a FET
transistor. I'm not sure what the issues are with that.

The mic to compare the variable pattern NT2-A to would be the MKH-80, or
if it's got extended frequency range (up to 50khz) then the MKH-800.
They still are a different design, but that's the closest. Those two
mics have omni, wide-cardioid, cardioid, and figure-8. I use a pair of
MKH-80's in M/S, and like the results better than the MKH-30/40 M/S.