Re: Equipment advice for bird recording

Subject: Re: Equipment advice for bird recording
From: "Ralph Paonessa" <>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 07:28:37 -0000
--- In  Charles Bragg
<> wrote:

>         The Sennheisers are 'better' but the AT815b *is* a good
quality mike - and as a bonus it runs for weeks on a single AA cell.
Just plug into your minidisc and go. If portability is a question,
then a shotgun is easier to carry than a parabola.
>         Why do you suspect it's "not very good quality"? It may be
that the mike is not matching up with your recorder, or there is a
flaw in the recorder mike circuitry. If you want to try repairing
the Marantz, you might consider getting the Shure A96F Line Matching
Transformer which changes XLR to a 1/8" plug and I quote from the
user guide, "It increases the signal level from the microphone,
provides a balanced input, and prevents distortion due to the d.c.
bias typically found in camcorder microphone inputs."

>         If you haven't used it for bird recording, why not try it
with a new minidisc now? I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

>         -- Chuck

Any comments on the Marantz PMD660 vs. Sony MZ-RH10 for bird
recording? I've read all I could find on the net, but as an audio
novice I'm not sure what to make of it. I guess the PMD660 is fairly
new, there were some complaints that the mic preamp wasn't good,
Marantz has stated some bad units went out initially. My biggest
concern, however, is that this unit seems aimed at "voice
recording," whereas I'm interested in bird calls. Should I be
concerned about things like frequency response, etc.?

People use phases like "fabulous sound fidelity" to describe Hi-MD
devices and Sony MZ-RH10.

At this point, I would buy the more expensive PMD660 if the sound
quality were similar to what I'd get with the MZ-RH10, because the
former seems easier to use (?), no restrictions on copying files,
more recording options (and I already have CF cards). BUT -- I'd buy
the MZ-RH10 if it will produce noticeably better bird recordings.
The more I look, the confuseder I get ...

In any case, I have the Audio-Technica AT815b condenser shotgun in
hand, which is what I'll use initially with whatever unit I get.

Any suggestions?? Thanks ...