Re: Equipment advice for bird recording

Subject: Re: Equipment advice for bird recording
From: Charles Bragg <>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 14:18:38 -0700
At 08:26 PM 5/25/2005 +0000, Ralph Paonessa wrote:

>So the AT815b should be a good "match" for the Mini-Disk?

        It's a perfect match for mine, a Sharp DR77.

>And at any
>point should I consider a preamp? (I only know enough about preamps
>to know that they exist, and wasn't clear whether such a thing was
>useful or needed with what I expect will be weak signals from
>distant birds.

        I am not as technologically sophisticated as many others on this fo=
rum, but reading what has passed before, the only reason to get a pre-amp w=
ith *our* equipment (AT815b) is to bypass a poor (noisy, low gain) mic inpu=
t on the recorder and use its line input. IMHO the mic inputs on most or ma=
ybe all minidiscs are quieter than most mics. If you get into really quiet =
($$$) or low-output mics, preamps may be desirable, but someone else should=
 speak to that.

>I guess I'll order the MZ-RH10 and jump right in!

        Yup - go for it.

        -- Chuck

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Chuck Bragg, Pacific Palisades, CA