Re: Equipment advice for bird recording

Subject: Re: Equipment advice for bird recording
From: Charles Bragg <>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 02:01:05 -0700
At 05:21 AM 5/24/2005 +0000, Ralph Paonessa wrote:

>2. I can't afford a Telinga parabola setup. I currently own an Audio-
>Technica AT815b shotgun mike that I suspect is not very good quality.
>Is a Sennheiser ME66 or ME67 with K-6 or K-6P reasonably good for my
>purposes -- that's about the limit of what I can spend now.

        The Sennheisers are 'better' but the AT815b *is* a good quality mike -
and as a bonus it runs for weeks on a single AA cell. Just plug into your
minidisc and go. If portability is a question, then a shotgun is easier to
carry than a parabola.
        Why do you suspect it's "not very good quality"? It may be that the
mike is not matching up with your recorder, or there is a flaw in the recorder
mike circuitry. If you want to try repairing the Marantz, you might consider
getting the Shure A96F Line Matching Transformer which changes XLR to a 1/8"
plug and I quote from the user guide, "It increases the signal level from the
microphone, provides a balanced input, and prevents distortion due to the d.c.
bias typically found in camcorder microphone inputs."

        If you haven't used it for bird recording, why not try it with a new
minidisc now? I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

        -- Chuck

========
Chuck Bragg, Pacific Palisades, CA
Membership, Newsletter, Web manager