Re: Stereo/Binaural Mic Arrays

Subject: Re: Stereo/Binaural Mic Arrays
From: Curt Olson <>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 10:36:11 -0500
John Hartog wrote:

> That one might have sounded smooth, but listen to this one (316k):
>
> http://www.rockscallop.org/jh-050430-nodes.mp3
>
> It seems to get loudest at two nodes that correspond the duck passing
> the axis of each mic.  It might only be coincidence: perhaps the bird
> just adjusted its flight as it passed.
>
> Both examples were recorded the same way -- Two NT1-A cardioid
> microphones spaced about seven inches apart angled  out about thirty
> degrees and with a barrier between. The barrier is oval, about 13
> inches tall, 10 inches deep,  2.5 inches thick, and made of two pieces
> of dense fiberglass tile covered with fleece and a piece of formica
> sandwiched between.  If this arrangement sounds bizarre, well maybe it
> is, but the parts were free and plus I might not really know what I am
> doing anyway.
>
> Actually the microphones sounded fine without a barrier: this example
> was recorded with the NT1-As spaced four inches apart and angled out
> 90 degrees with no barrier (the Rogue River and a Bullock's Oriole
> -706k):
>
> http://www.rockscallop.org/ear/JH-040521-RogueRBird.mp3
>
> One thing about using the barrier is it seems to preserve the stereo
> field independent of the angle of the microphones.  Here is an example
> using the barrier with the NT1-As both aimed straight forward (Pacific
> Chorus Frogs and a beaver -237k):
>
> http://www.rockscallop.org/jh-050512-nt1a0deg.mp3
>
> I guess I've gone barrier happy, because I am using barriers in the
> other two mic arrangements I currently use -- 183s using a tree as a
> barrier, and 183s in a Telinga dish with an LP (Beethoven Concerto N0.
> 3 in C Minor) as a barrier.  For the 183s, I record with a Sony
> MZ-N707, and for the NT1-As I use a PMD-670.

Nice stuff, John. Distinctly heard the mystery nodes you mentioned on
the first cut. I've also tried barriers between cardioid mics, and
never came to a solid conclusion about it. Your examples here give an
excellent reference point to consider. Thank you for describing your
setups.

Curt Olson

PS: In your Telinga dish array, I think you need to try a Snoop Dawg CD
instead...