RE: Re: Adware again....

Subject: RE: Re: Adware again....
From: Charles Bragg <>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:08:58 -0700
At 08:15 AM 5/17/2005 -0400, Marty Michener wrote:

>I too use the Microsoft beta, plus the XP built-in firewall, plus Adaware,
>plus Spybot S&D on all my XP computers. My anti-virus is Grisoft AVG.

        My stuff, after extensive research: Grisoft AVG, Zone Alarm (firewall),
Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S&D, CW Shredder (apparently the only one that detects the
Cool Web Search trojan), but equally importantly, XP without Service Pack 2,
Mozilla instead of IE Explorer, and Eudora instead of Outlook Express. For the
individual home user, all of these programs are freeware.
        I don't get popups or viruses. My neighbor who uses Outlook Express, IE
6 and SP2 is so infested with spyware and viruses that he is considering the
Nuclear Option. He has used Norton and McAfee packages and they aren't cutting
it. I cleaned him out once and within days he was bugged up again. I just
cleaned him out again, uninstalled McAfee, put in AVG and ZoneAlarm,
deactivated automatic updates to SP2 and crossed my fingers. IMHO unless he
backs out of SP2 and stops using MS surfing and email he will eventually go
down again. Using Explorer and Outlook Express and blindly accepting updates to
*any* program is like wearing a big Kick Me sign.

        -- Chuck

========
Chuck Bragg, Pacific Palisades, CA
Membership, Newsletter, Web manager