Re: Stereo/Binaural Mic Arrays

Subject: Re: Stereo/Binaural Mic Arrays
From: Curt Olson <>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:25:23 -0500
Dan Dugan wrote:

> Curt Olson, you wrote,
>
>> Credit where credit is due: Yea, I happened to make that recording,
>> but I never would have been out on the ice that sub-zero Sunday
>> morning without Rich Peet graciously revealing what he knows about
>> the phenomenon and offering to accompany me.
>
> The tripod was on the ice when you were recording? I hear some real
> low frequency thumps in there that make me suspect that there was a
> significant solid conductive path to the mics--Beta 58's have a
> low-frequency rolloff but the sound is LF-rich. Did you use any
> shockmounts?
>
> We don't usually think about the ground under our stands conducting
> sound, but in this case...

Good catch, Dan. Actually, no tripod that day. For that outing, I had
the mics suspended from a PVC monopod by a strip of bicycle tire inner
tube, with hose clamps connecting it to the mics. As you know, Beta 58s
have a strong bass proximity effect. The section of recording you heard
was taken with the mics directly touching the ice, the solid conductive
path you suspected. (You also heard the result of a gentle corrective
EQ curve, but let's keep that just between you and me!)

Curt Olson