Re: What's Up When Birds Sing?

Subject: Re: What's Up When Birds Sing?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:06:21 -0400
From: Wild Sanctuary <>

> As we come to terms with how we in the West have described "nature"
> sounds in our various forms of art, we often find a profound
> contradiction between our intent as artists and what we produce which
> is natuarlly a reflection of our culture and it's disconnection to
> the natural world. It is my strong feeling, both as a professional
> musican and a naturalist, that the music-or-nature ouvre, in
> particular, is more emblematic of this break in the circuit, than any
> other art form (with a few notable exceptions such as Schafer).

What we record, and how we process it into a final product is very
strongly influenced by the historical sequence of development of the
equipment used. We have now, what is considered to be a "right" way of
doing it, but it's really more just what's been carried down of old
equipment limitations. This strongly interferes with any handed down
influence from originally imitating natural sounds.

As a biologist I also see a break between human thought and nature. In a
great many more ways than recording. Even many folks who claim to be
sensitive to nature hardly have a clue as to what's really going on.