Re: Microphone Cables

Subject: Re: Microphone Cables
From: "Greg Weddig" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:23:46 -0000
See comments below:

--- In  Mark Griswold <> wrote:
> > FWIW I use Gotham audio cable: "GAC-2pair flat (12001)" I have a
> > couple of hundred feet of it and I've been very happy with it.  Pretty
> > easy to solder, I invested in the flat cable to allow me to break out
> > two mics while maintaining the integrity of the cable jacket, it
> > splits apart like zip cord.
>
> Thanks! You don't know how happy this makes me to find such a cable!

You're welcome.

> > I also have a four pair long cable (Belden 1904A) to allow easy long
> > distance quad recording.
>
> so Greg, on the quadraphonic cable, how do you make the transition from
> single cable to four individual mic cables? How about stiffness/weight
> of the cable?

I have about two feet at the preamp end of the cable to allow it to
connect to two separate devices if required (I don't have a dedicated
multi-channel channel recorder yet).  The mic end has about the same,
I have a breakout cable with  about 6' of tail (so that allows about
12' between mics, plenty for my current use) on it for connecting
various mic arrays; it allows me to use both my short 4 pair cable
(25') and my long cable (70' or so).  I use a hardware store cable
coiler for the long cables to keep everything nicely coiled.
The four pair cable is very flexible, I would say it's more flexible
than many single pair cables.  I think Dan Dugan still has about a
half a spool of it, maybe he wants to chime in on flexibility. (and
possibly sell you some)

> If you were going to do it over again, would you do it the same way?

I think that the breakout cable was a happy accident.  Even though it
adds another connection it provides much more flexibility in the
field.  The other advantage to making your own cables (recently
mentioned here) is that you know how to fix them if they break in the
field.  So at this point I haven't found anything I would do different
yet.

> > The brands Dan mentioned are all good, with Mogami probably having the
> > highest end reputation (I can't confirm that this is actually true).
> > I've also used the Canare's Quadstar with high success.
>
> I find that the Mogami, with its twisted shield, is more flexible than,
> but doesn't take as much abuse as, Canare's braided shield.

Agreed, the Mogami I have used tends to be a bit more delicate than
some of the other brands.

> > Do stay away
> > from super expensive "directional" cable, oxygen free, with nuetronic
> > isotopes, hand woven by a team of virgins.  It's not worth it.
>
> do not underestimate the power of a team of virgins.

Enjoy,

--greg