Re: Microphone Cables

Subject: Re: Microphone Cables
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:44:46 -0400
From: Mark Griswold <>

>>> FWIW I use Gotham audio cable: "GAC-2pair flat (12001)" I have a
>>> couple of hundred feet of it and I've been very happy with it.  Pretty
>>> easy to solder, I invested in the flat cable to allow me to break out
>>> two mics while maintaining the integrity of the cable jacket, it
>>> splits apart like zip cord.

I'd worry a little about something that splits apart as easily as zip cord.

>>> I also have a four pair long cable (Belden 1904A) to allow easy long
>>> distance quad recording.
>

> so Greg, on the quadraphonic cable, how do you make the transition from
> single cable to four individual mic cables? How about stiffness/weight
> of the cable?

I don't do quad, but do stereo cables using 5 pin XLR's. Each end I have
a separate short Y breakout to 3 pin as needed. Since I use good Neutrik
gold pin XLR's I don't worry about the extra connectors involved. I also
use the X-HD weatherproof variety of Neutriks. The single line is much
easier to handle, coil and so on then two lines.

I originally was going to use Canare star quad snake for this, available
in quite a range of pair numbers. But, it's quite bulky and heavy for
longer lengths, and Lang's experience using a single standard Canare
star quad cable lead me that way.

I see no need to change.

> I find that the Mogami, with its twisted shield, is more flexible than,
> but doesn't take as much abuse as, Canare's braided shield.

It's this twisted shield that makes me rate the Mogami as decidedly not
highest end. Twisted shields are appropriate only on cables that don't
get flexed. They are for fixed installations. Otherwise the shield
quickly develops gaps due to movement of the twisted shield. That's why
braid is what's top end. It won't shift and loose it's effectiveness.
Canare star quad is very flexable, and has a very good braid shield.
It's a matter of moments for me to unbraid enough shield for a
connection. A dissecting needle makes short work of it. Soldering up
cables with it is easy.

Of course in nature recording you are usually a good ways from
interference to be shielded, so can get by with 2nd rate shielding.

>>> Do stay away
>>> from super expensive "directional" cable, oxygen free, with nuetronic
>>> isotopes, hand woven by a team of virgins.  It's not worth it.
>

> do not underestimate the power of a team of virgins.

Amusing at least.