Re: Lake Delancy and Plane question

Subject: Re: Lake Delancy and Plane question
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:56:50 -0400
From: Meena Haribal <>

> I have been trying to record in Ithaca, NY area, I have constant problems=

> of planes flying overhead anytime of the day. Anytime I look up there is =
> plane or more than half a dozen of planes in the sky flying in all
> directions. Does others who are living in a mega metropolis area have
> similar problems?  Is there away to avoid them?

Sept 11 got them out of the air briefly, but that's a pretty drastic way
to do it.

It is easier recording during off times. Night can be much easier, but
even in the day if you study it you will find there are not so busy periods=
.

Another trick is if you are using a directional mic like a parabolic get
it up high and point it down toward your subject. It's not only
selective in left to right, but in up to down. Most folks are pointing
their mics up, at least somewhat, making it more likely to pick up planes.

Getting closer to your subject will help to improve the signal to noise
ratio.

It is a big problem for all of us, not just in cities either.

This question is for Walt,
> I  want to know how to distinguish between the calls of Western Chorus Fr=
og
> and Upland Chorus frog, as New York state seem to have these two species =
in
> the checklist.

I can't help you much as I'm not that familiar with the calls of the
Western Chorus Frog. We have a similar problem in that the Upland Chorus
Frog and the Southern Chorus Frog have similar calls. With listening to
them enough you can accurately id them, but I'm sure not all calls of
those two have been properly distinguished.