Re: level setting

Subject: Re: level setting
From: David Steinwedel <>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 10:04:57 -0700 (PDT)
Rich, I'm not sure what you're asking for . . .

But here's how a studio is set up for post production.

You first need to get a level meter, you can pull one
from Radio Shack for like $40.

At this point you will need pink noise generated at
-20dbfs (if you can't do this I'd be happy to post a
file for ya). You want to run this through your
system, and level each speaker individually to 85
decibels (using your nifty new radioshack meter). It's
also a good idea to put a mark on your mixer where the
speaker reaches 75 decibels, as sometimes you just
don't want to monitor at full volume.

Now that you have your studio calibrated, where you
decide to set your levels when recording is up to you.
If you are looking for reference levels as to where to
set your gain when you're recording--then there is no
'standard,' it's really up to your ears and
experience. It really depends on what I'm doing, but
I'll usually allow quite a bit of headroom if I'm
recording ambience 'beds' so that any loud, one-shot
sounds coming through do not peak me out.

You can always do it the scientific way. Set your
noise floor at -20, then at -25, then -30, etc, bring
the material back to the studio and see which one
works best for you. Don't forget to slate!

dave

--- Rich Peet <> wrote:

> I guess I was not clear enough in what I need.
> I have moved from multichannel laptop recording
> using de-correlated
> wide spaced microphone arrays to coherent full
> immersion surround
> recording.
>
> The results are wonderful and very direction
> accurate in a full 360
> degree field. But when I setup I need to define
> reference levels for
> each channel that I can see for use in post
> production.  This is
> needed to keep the immersion direction accurate.=20
>
> I can not point the mic at the sky, can not use a
> small radio as the
> volume changes as it is turned, and can not carry
> studio equipment
> into the field. I already carry 25 lbs into the
> field for a 3 hour
> record capability at 24/96 or 10 lbs for 16 bit
> atrac full day
> capability. Right now I am just setting levels based
> on a hold of the
> minimum valley gain and maybe that is good enough
> with a good quantity
> of material
>
> I am starting to think that accurate level settings
> are not done in
> the music industry except by ear.
>
> Rich

=09=09