Re: level setting

Subject: Re: level setting
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 16:45:00 -0500
At 8:13 PM +0000 4/6/05, Rich Peet wrote:
>Multichannel gets complex in edit in a hurry.
>I need an easy solution for setting mic preamp levels or in post for
>multiple mic inputs.
>
>A device that puts out a consistant volume of broad range sound at a
>given distance from a mic.
>
>Would a bug clicker toy be best?
>What does the sound industry use?
>
>Rich

Pink noise from heaven. Seriously. I like the mic pre gain during
calibration to be the same as my recording situation. I've used a
pink noise generator and a small speaker but I couldn't see any
improvments over pointing all of the mics into the sky and using
location ambience and the momentary peaks on the mic pre LEDS.
Ambience is a very warm reference, though, and it might not give you
real accurate matches for loud, close sounds above 400Hz.  For me,
balancing the "weight" or reach into the space between the mics is a
priority and I find the sky as a source works pretty well. No four
mics will match across the full spectrum, of course,.. but I bring
along good headphones too.  Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department