Re: Wood Frogs

Subject: Re: Wood Frogs
From: Barb Beck <>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 18:25:50 -0600
Not too hard to become an expert on the Reptiles and Amphibians of
Alberta with our harsh climate.  Even fewer in the YK and NWT but
suprisingly some exist and a couple extensively    Besides the champ
which is the Wood Frog:

According to the Amphibs and Reptiles of Alberta by Russell and Bauer:

Columbian Spotted Frog R. luteiventris make it sometimes into the
southern Yukon  I have never been in the right place at the right time
for these guys - sorry Lang

The Leopard Frog (R. pipens) I do not think make it up over the NWT
border - most of Wood Buffalo is in Alberta even before 1981 when they
disappeared from almost all of the province except for some pockets in
the Milk River Drainage in the SE corner of the Province.  Coming back
(or being transported back in ice chests) very very slowly.  They
disappeared very very suddenly.  They were very common then within three
years gone.

Boreal Chorus Frog - Pseudacris  maculata (triseriata)  goes well up
into the YK and NWT

B. hemiophrys only slipps into the NWT once in a while
B. Boreas  makes it into the southern YK

I know this is not an amphib but amazingly the Red Sided Gartersnake
also occurs up in the NWT - Jim and I saw some when we were up there
about 15 years ago.  It is Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis.

Barb Beck
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada