Re: wood frogs

Subject: Re: wood frogs
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 12:29:36 -0400
From: "Rich Peet" <>

> For those who care in the midwest usa.
>
> the frost in the wood frog area is now under 3 feet in central us.
> That puts time of arrival at about 2 to 3 weeks.
>
> Rich Peet
>
> For those that don't understand, this frog calls for only 1 week each
> year and some of us care.

Down here in Georgia, nearly the southernmost extent of wood frogs, they
are past season. Or what people consider to be their season. And their
season is longer than a week. And frost is long gone.

One year I did repeated followups on three sites in White County, GA
just to check how long they did call. I went up on a weekly basis and
checked calling. They called just as strongly, which was over 100
individuals at the most dense site, from late February to mid May. They
could have been calling earlier too as when I found the sites in late
February they were in full cry and it was late for them. I've been
meaning to do some official documentation on that. I did check a couple
times the next year and it appeared they were repeating the longer
period. The wood frog on my website came from one of those sites:
http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/docs/wood.frog.html

Has anyone else followed wood frogs that called at a individual site for
longer periods?