RE: Hiss in My Recordings

Subject: RE: Hiss in My Recordings
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:12:22 -0800 (PST)
> I think for future recordings I will save them at 44,100, 16 bit, and if =
> want to put them on my website, I'll resample them down to 11025.
> Lowering the resolution to 11025 changed the file size from 3,321K to 808=
K.
> I wonder if other recordists who post to the web use the same settings?

Jerry,

You have several options, depending on your needs.

Most people who post audio on the net use compressed formats such as MP3
and Ogg Vorbis. You can achieve quite high audio quality for casual uses
at very reduced file sizes.

E.g., on my own website (URL below) I post almost everything compressed to
192 kbps -- the file sizes end up being about 1.4MB per stereo minute. MP3
is useful because it's supported almost everywhere now; many operating
systems now ship with players that are smart enough to play files as they
arrive -- even without you running a "streaming" server. For casual use
I'd recommend it as the de facto standard!

At higher compressions there is a lot of debate about which compressor /
format to use. At lower compression rates (higher data rats, e.g. 384
kbps/sec say) almost any format will sound lossless for any practical lay
use however!  One minute of MONO 384 kbps MP3 would again take up about
1.4 MB, and should sound GREAT.

If you really need to avoid compression, there are a few "lossless"
compressors out there -- FLAC and Apple Lossless I think it's called --
that will reduce filesizes in the 50% range.

If you're recording with ATRAC on MD (ie, recording on MD without using
HiMD in PCM mode) you're already going through one round of compression in
the 256-300 kbps range; arguably ATRAC is superior to MP3 (say) at that
data rate), but it's still a lossy format.

Conventional wisdom has it you can "have problems" recompressing
recordings, e.g. making MP3s from ATRAC recordings or other lossy formats,
but IMHO this is bunkem in practice. I have never heard anything in any of
my MP3s that I could attribute to this -- I do hear artifacts, but I know
where they come from, and it's not that... :)

Btw there is a lot of great shareware/freeware available that will help
you painlessly make great-quality MP3s, Ogg Vorbis files, etc. I don't
know about FLAC and other lossless compressors though, but I do know you
can find them free as well.

 best regards,
  aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org