Re: cinema mics?

Subject: Re: cinema mics?
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:08:31 +0100
The point with a hole is that it doesn't ever touches the plate dividing
the two channels of the Stereo DATmic + that the cloth doesn't seem to
stretch the dish unsymmetrically and turn the opening into an oval. You
probably have the wind-cover which was made of symmetrical fleece.
This hole doesn't seem to cause any problem, but I'll wait a while to hear
more reports.

Klas.

>From: Klas Strandberg <>
>

> > Most film sounds of animals / birds are dubbed in post-production. The
> > mic's you see with Rycote zeppelins are (only) used for interviews and
> > guidelines for the sound man who makes the dubbing.
>
>The traditional use of the shotgun on the boom in it's Rycote was to
>record the dialog and everything else was dubbed in later. I expect it's
>true now that even some of the dialog is studio recorded and dubbed in.
>The limitation would be lip sync.
>
>With ENG, short booms are used primarily to reach over the crowd of
>other newsmen.
>
> > You have to do what you have to do! I was once recording black terns on
> the
> > Swedish west-coast and it was so windy that I had to use both hands to
> hold
> > the Telinga.
> > You had two kinds of wind noise - one which was "there" over the sea, sea
> > waves and all, and another wind noise caused by the parabol and mic
> design.
> > The first noise is a part of reality and the other part - caused by the
> > dish and mic design - could be canceled completely by pulling my knitted
> > sweater over the whole thing.
>
>This, too is important for folks to realize. All the wind protection we
>talk about is just for removing or reducing the unnatural direct effects
>of wind on the mic. The natural sound produced by the wind is not
>changed, it belongs, no matter how much we wish it did not.
>
> > The new Telinga Hi-Wind Cover (under test) has a hole in the middle for
> the
> > mic to point out. This autumn I will get in touch with the test people and
> > hear what they say about it.
>
>I use the solid Hi-Wind cover, which I bought back when I bought the
>mic. It's very effective. It is solid, no hole. I'm wondering what the
>point of a hole would be? It would seem to make things worse.
>
>Walt
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."