Re: cinema mics?

Subject: Re: cinema mics?
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:55:22 +0100
Most film sounds of animals / birds are dubbed in post-production. The
mic's you see with Rycote zeppelins are (only) used for interviews and
guidelines for the sound man who makes the dubbing.

I have been talking myself stiff to try to make the Natural History
producers in England keep a separate sound recordist with the film crew, to=

make it more possible to get good sync-sound, but this is a question of
money (they say) even if there are guys who are willing to do it free, just=

for the pleasure of traveling and their own learning and carrier.

You have to do what you have to do! I was once recording black terns on the=

Swedish west-coast and it was so windy that I had to use both hands to hold=

the Telinga.
You had two kinds of wind noise - one which was "there" over the sea, sea
waves and all, and another wind noise caused by the parabol and mic design.=

The first noise is a part of reality and the other part - caused by the
dish and mic design - could be canceled completely by pulling my knitted
sweater over the whole thing.

Using an omni in a parabol, wind hitting from the front or the back is not=

a big problem. The big problem comes when you get side-wind and thereby
turbulence in the dish, with very strong pressure changes around the mic.
Such turbulence can be prevented by covering the whole opening with fleece=

or similar.

Only a few years ago there was fleece which was symmetrical, that is - when=

it dried from being wet, it stretched symmetrically. Nowadays all (?)
fleece seem to be "unsymmetrical" which means that it stretches more in one=

direction than the other. It doesn't do much harm, but it looks terrible
and gives a bad reputation for the manufacturer....

The new Telinga Hi-Wind Cover (under test) has a hole in the middle for the=

mic to point out. This autumn I will get in touch with the test people and=

hear what they say about it.

Klas.

   At 08:16 2005-02-24, you wrote:

>It occurrs to me that an area in which mics are regularly  used outdoors
>is filmmaking, and wind noise has to be a problem.  I've seen devices
>resembling the "zeps" you're talking about in use there.  Are these
>windscreens just prohibitevly expensive, or is this a source that would be=

>worth pursuing?  I'm sure you all must have looked into this.
>

>Ken

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."