Re: cinema mics?

Subject: Re: cinema mics?
From: David Steinwedel <>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:25:47 -0800 (PST)
> > It occurrs to me that an area in which mics are
> regularly  used outdoors is filmmaking, and wind
> noise has to be a problem.  I've seen devices
> resembling the "zeps" you're talking about in use
> there.  Are these windscreens just prohibitevly
> expensive, or is this a source that would be worth
> pursuing?  I'm sure you all must have looked into
> this.

The zeps normally used in filmmaking/field recording
are generally from Rycote. There is a new brand that
just came out a bit ago, but I can't remember the name
. . . I think they claim to kill wind up to 80 mph or
so. On top of those you will generally find a
'softie,' which looks like a piece of thin fleece, or
a 'windjammer,' which provides slightly better
protection and is the furry looking thing.

As far as what goes in those zeps, it's a designers
choice. Popular picks are the Neumann 191, Schoeps,
Sennheiser MKH series, and on down the line (it all
depends on what you're doing, too).

Many effects designers will use lavoliers for
ambiences (which you can get the same type of wind
protection for)--but if you're looking to isolate
certain birds or specific sounds then shotguns will do
you much better.

> They
> are in a large part
> responsible for the high cost of such items. If they
> would refuse to buy
> at current prices then the prices would drop. But,
> as a general rule
> they will buy at any price, don't even ask the
> price.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that
there's only one or two manufacturers of this
stuff--that mic technology is scantly a century
old--that demand for high quality recording gear is
fairly low . . .

Cheers all!
Dave