Re: cinema mics?

Subject: Re: cinema mics?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:08:10 -0500

> It occurrs to me that an area in which mics are regularly  used outdoors is
> filmmaking, and wind noise has to be a problem.  I've seen devices resembling
> the "zeps" you're talking about in use there.  Are these windscreens just
> prohibitevly expensive, or is this a source that would be worth pursuing?
> I'm sure you all must have looked into this.

Both there, and in ENG, they use exactly what I use on my M/S mics.
Rycote is the most common brand, but there are others. Some use the
slightly less expensive softies instead of the full up suspension and
windscreen setup, particularly on boom mics. They are in a large part
responsible for the high cost of such items. If they would refuse to buy
at current prices then the prices would drop. But, as a general rule
they will buy at any price, don't even ask the price.

Note the shotgun mics we have are also a result of the needs of that
bunch, not nature recording. That's what's generally inside the wind
protection on the boom.

Note that for them, time is money, lots of it. They don't want retakes
due to wind noise, so they use reliable stuff.